Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Day at the Bookstore

The other day, I stopped by a Barnes & Noble to pick up a book a friend had recommended to me (my first Janet Evanovich, for those of you who are wondering).  While I had assumed that all B&Ns were created equal (as the company is nation-wide), there are significant differences between California- or Colorado-based bookstores and Texas-based bookstores.  Namely:
  1. The music.  Country music was blaring in this particular book store.  I'm used to pleasant, quiet background music while browsing for books, of the jazz or new age variety.  But, no--apparently in Humble, Texas, you need to listen to a really loud rendition of "Bless the Broken Road" if you're buying books.  It was incredibly distracting.
  2. The selection.  In this particular book store, the Christian Living section was far larger than the Fiction section.  How is that even possible?
  3. The clientele.  There were more people hanging out at the cafe with nary a book a in sight than I'm used to seeing in other B&Ns.  I think it's strange when people frequent stores at which they don't actually buy anything.
I don't think I'll be back to that store anytime soon, although one funny thing did happen: a woman, when her son was misbehaving, screeched at him: "Veergil, if eyou don't knock that off raight now, I'm gonna beat eyou with a hawrdback!"*

*This was my attempt to George Bernard Shaw the Texan accent.  I'm not entirely sure it was successful.

6 comments:

  1. I think maybe you should practice that before another public attempt. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, eyeah? Wayell, pracktice mekes purfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. I may have just had a stroke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look, it's a literary tradition, ok? Joyce did it, Shaw did it. I can do it if I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to a Janet Evanovich post. Is the book One for the Money?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it was. It came highly recommended from several people. It's definitely entertaining. :)

    ReplyDelete