Monday, May 10, 2010

A Note on Koozies

Some of you may have noticed the beer cans in the picture from the crawfish boil, wrapped in colorful foam and looking oh-so-festive.  These pieces of foam are called koozies (and not cozies, as I learned when I got several blank stares when referring to one).  Now, I don't know about you, but I've always considered koozies to be something of an out-dated item, used only by rednecks.  My family does not own any.  My friends do not use them.  However, in Texas, everyone uses them.  My host family has a drawer full of them, and if you're going to a party, you bring your own koozie even if you don't bring your own beer.  In fact, at the crawfish boil yesterday, even though most people brought their own koozies, there was a huge bag of brand-new koozies, just in case.

Let me say this: even though I feel like a hick drinking a Bud Lite wrapped in a piece of foam advertising "In-Step Dance Lessons," it does keep your beer cooler for longer.  However, under no circumstances should koozies ever be customized and used as wedding party favors.

8 comments:

  1. That's about as bad as having a denim mini-skirt for a wedding dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw the website for wedding koozies, I threw up in my mouth a little bit. Or, if we're being honest, a lot bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is hilarious and sad at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was at a COUNTRY CLUB for God's sake. This was not a trailer park. It was a very weird experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When Kelley and I were planning our wedding, the coordinator at the reception site told us that there was a couple that wanted Spaghetti-o's and canned corn as part of meal. There's no way of making that classy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What the hell? The ONLY reason I would want to serve that is because of my budget. Can you imagine what the guests were thinking, sitting in their formal wear eating Spaghetti-O's?

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I ever get married, I am going to place a bunch of koozies on strings and tie them to my get-away car. That way if they fall off, someone will have a gift that keeps on giving!

    ReplyDelete