Thursday, May 13, 2010

Reduce, Reuse, Refuse to Recycle!

I'd like to give a big shout-out to all my recyclers out there--none of whom live in Houston, if you were wondering.  None of them.  Since arriving, I've been to multiple houses, multiple apartments, and many stores and none of them recycle.  My company's break rooms have recycling bins, but they're hidden behind cabinet doors and not labeled, so everyone just throws everything away.  In addition, the amount of stryofoam in use around here is one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen.

And just in case you think I'm exaggerating (me?), here's a New York Times article from a couple of years ago that says that Houston is the "worst recycler among the United States’ 30 largest cities."  (At the time, Houston recycled 2.6% of its waste, while San Francisco recycled 69%.  That's a 67% difference!)  The explanation, from the then-Houston mayor? "We have an independent streak that rebels against mandates or anything that seems trendy or hyped up."  Yeah! Damn that recycling hype!  THINK FOR YOURSELVES!!!

By the way, my apartment building has valet trash for its 400+ residents (because who wants to walk all the way to the dumpster on their way to their car?  That's so inconvenient!).  It has no recycling program.  This pinko hippie liberal will be bringing her recyclables to work.

2 comments:

  1. It is! And when I ask people where their recycling bin is, they give me a look like I'm some kind of freak. These people have obviously not seen Idiocracy. IMAGINE THE LANDFILL SLIDES, PEOPLE!

    ReplyDelete