Friday, May 21, 2010

Target: Houston

Since I've written so often about what I don't like about Texas, I figured it was probably time to include something that I've discovered I do like (about Houston, anyway)--mainly, the highway system.  Having lived in LA, I know bad roads.  The highways in LA are difficult to maneuver, if only because they weren't originally designed to accomodate the number of people shoving their ways down the on-ramps.

Houston, on the other hand, has a highway system that is very easy to figure out.  Houston is essentially a big bulls-eye, with loops that make it easy to get from one place to another because they save so much time by cutting off entire areas you never have to go to.  While I've heard horror stories of people going around and around the 610 loop wihout being able to figure out how to get off, I haven't yet had that problem and am quite pleased at how quickly I picked up on the area.

(This is not to say that being on the highways doesn't suck--because it does.  Traffic in Houston is awful.  But that's a post for another day.)

4 comments:

  1. Years ago when I considered moving to Houston, this was the thing that I heard people really liked or really hated. It seems very logically planned out, which is the polar opposite of the ones in LA. As bad as LA traffic is, the worst traffic I've EVER been in, hands down, was Chicago. I'd rather be stuck at the 405/101 interchange at five o'clock the day before Thanksgiving for hours than be on a Chicago freeway again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never been to Chicago, so I can't say one way or the other, but Houston really is much better than LA--between the easy access to highways and the paralleling frontage roads that make merging easier, I can't bitch too much about Texas roads.

    But why in the wide, wide world of sports were you considering moving to Houston?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad considered buying an apartment complex or two on the cheap. The plan was for him to buy them and I would move out there to get them in condition while going to school. I could have been a graduate of University of Texas < fill in the blank >.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew, that was a close one.

    You probably know this, but EVERYTHING is cheap out here compared to California. That's because if you own property here, you'd have to LIVE here.

    ReplyDelete